Saturday, February 04, 2012

Picture Collages

I have been playing around a lot with my new iPhone 4s that I got myself for Christmas, and one of my favorite things to do with it is create collages with my own personal photos using a free app called PicCollage. Because it is free, the app is very limited in terms of background selections, sticker art, and font choices, but it does allow you to use your imagination to create a variety of different collages with the tools it does provide. I personally like its simplicity and have been quite addicted to it since I first started using it last month.

Lately I've also been creating collages using images from movies that I've seen and really liked, such as this one you see here on the left, from the movie X-Men: First Class. In that movie, James McAvoy plays Charles Xavier, who later becomes the world-famous Professor X. He is an expert in the field of genetic mutations, and he starts the Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, where young mutants can feel like they are part of a family and can learn to develop their special powers. After seeing this movie, it made me wish I could attend this prestigious school and be one of Professor X's students! Any idea how I could apply? :)

Captain America: The First Avenger is another movie I really enjoyed recently. Chris Evans, who played another comic book superhero in the past (Johnny Storm, also known as "the Human Torch" in Fantastic Four and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer), is Steve Rogers, the puny young man from Brooklyn who decides to accept an offer to become part of a top-secret military experiment and transforms into the muscular Captain America. I was truly impressed with the way they made Chris Evans look so skinny and small in the beginning of the movie and then later become so big and strong! I'm pretty sure all the ladies in the audience had to wipe off the drool from their mouths after seeing his amazing transformation! (I guess that includes me, ha ha ha!) The movie was so much fun to watch because there was a good mix of action, humor, romance, and villainy! After seeing this film, I've got to say that I'm really looking forward to seeing the upcoming Avengers movie, in which Captain America teams up with other superheroes such as the Hulk, Iron Man, and Thor! From what I've seen in the movie trailers, it is one that I will have to see on the big screen for sure!

I also made a collage of pictures from Red Riding Hood, which is a romantic thriller starring Amanda Seyfried as Red Riding Hood, Max Irons as her fiancé Henry, and Shiloh Fernandez as Peter, her lover and childhood friend. Although Valerie (Red Riding Hood) was not in love with Henry, I liked his character a lot. I felt bad for him when he realized that his fiancée was in love with someone else. I thought this movie was a very imaginative retelling of the classic fairy tale and I loved it so much that I got me a copy of it on Blu-ray! And I'm so very glad I did because the Blu-ray set includes an Alternate Cut version (not seen in movie theaters) with extended scenes and a very different ending. Without spoiling it for those who haven't seen it yet, I will say that I liked the alternate cut a lot better than the original theatrical version. It just made a whole lot more sense to me, and the additional bloody scenes made it more authentic, too. Do remember that the movie is rated PG-13 and is really more a love story which just happens to be set in a village that is attacked by a werewolf, rather than an actual horror flick, so do not be expecting a whole lot of blood and violence or you will be very disappointed.

I guess that's enough rambling from me for now. I will try to write again soon and not let another two or three months go by without posting again, but who knows. I keep wanting to post about my French lessons and share my excitement about my upcoming trip to Paris, but I keep getting sidetracked. Let me know what you think about these collages, and feel free to share your thoughts on the movies I talked about as well. See you again soon!